Am I entitled to free NHS Dental care?
As a registered dentist with practices across Leicestershire, JDRM offer a range of treatments to those entitled to NHS dental care.
To help patients work out if they are entitled to subsidised NHS dentistry, here we offer a brief overview of the qualification criteria set by the UK Government.
Who is entitled to free treatment from an NHS dentist?
Firstly, we list some of the most basic entitlement criteria for NHS dental care. To apply, you must conform to at least one of the following statements at the time your treatment begins:
- Be under the age of 18
- Be under the age of 19 but in full-time education
- Be pregnant or have given birth the year before treatment starts
- Be staying in an NHS hospital (a hospital dentist must carry out your treatment as an outpatient)
You may be entitled to free treatment from an NHS dentist if, when the treatment starts or when you are asked to pay, you meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You are part of a joint award (with a partner etc) of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit
- You are named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
- You are named on a valid HC2 certificate
- Also, if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay fees for all NHS dental treatments.
NB - HC2 and HC3 certificates are issued under the NHS Low Income Scheme.
Restrictions on entitlement through benefits
It is important to note that claiming or receiving any of the following benefits as a single claimant does not entitle you to free treatment from an NHS dentist:
- Incapacity Benefit
- Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Council Tax Benefit
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit savings credit
Get in touch
If you would like to find out more about our range of dental treatments and your entitlement to NHS dentistry, please contact the friendly team at JDRM Dental Care.
To find your nearest NHS dentist at one of our practices in Leicestershire, please click here.